I am super behind on my blogging, and since I'm a stickler about posting in chronological order we are going to jump back in time a few months to the end of October. Clark (
Making comments in Fall blue) and I had our 3rd anniversary on November 3, and we celebrated by taking a trip to Cape Cod the last weekend in October. The weather was chilly but not cold, the trees still had a few of their autumn leaves, and we didn't have to face any crowds of tourists.
 |
| Our first meal at Scargo Café was a great way to kick off our dining for the trip. We had fantastic New England clam chowder, amazing sandwiches and more. |
 |
| And for dessert...New England's famous Grapenut custard. Delectable. |
 |
| After lunch we spent the afternoon walking around the small New England town of Dennis, MA. Let's just say Clark banned me from saying the word "quaint" after the first hour. But everything really is so quaint and picturesque! |
 |
| Huh. You have to wonder about this one... No wondering. No better place to bury one of the greatest all-time princesses than Dennis, MA. Trust me. Kate Middleton already has a lot picked out there. |
 |
| Back at Hyannis for a winding (and short) stroll along the beach. |
Day 2: Martha's Vineyard
 |
| What a foggy day! I saved you from having to see what my hair looked like after spending a few minutes in this kind of weather. |
 |
| Making a game plan during the 45 minute ferry ride to the island. |
 |
| Can you tell there is a drastic difference in opinion in how one should dress for a late fall excursion in the Northeast? In actuality, it is just a difference in body fat percentage. 12 vs. 35. |
 |
| Can you imagine having one of these homes as your summer beach house? Amazing. |
 |
| Did I mention that in order to ferry your car to the island is costs $250?!? Thus, once on the island we got to rent a second car for a day. Lucky for us they decided to upgrade us for free and hooked us up with this little baby. Definitely a fun way to cruise around the island! It was fun. Notice that Amy has used "quaint," "delectable," and "thus" in this blog post already. Antiquated towns bring out Amy's antiquated language. No one speaks like that anymore. |
 |
| And yes, we drove with the top down as much as possible! Nothing wrong with turning on the heat... Unless you are in public. And then you should save turning up the heat for private times. Oh. Amy meant the heat from the heater...in the car. |
 |
| Lunch at the Black Dog Tavern in Vineyard Haven Harbor. It was actually funny because my mom said they got the most amazing chocolate soufflé at the Black Dog when they were here 20 years ago. When we inquired about it at the restaurant, they looked at us totally confused because they don't even serve soufflé. Later on when we talked to my dad it turned out that The Black Dog was definitely NOT where they had gotten the amazing dessert. Oh well, 20 years is a long time to remember a specific restaurant name. :) Coincidentally, Black Dog is my 7th favorite Led Zeppelin song. |
 |
| The view from our table. |
 |
| Fun feel to the restaurant. Also the view from our table. |
 |
| Yummy, yummy clam chowder. It really was the best clam chowder ever. I wonder why they can't make the clam chowder in N. Carolina as tasty. Probably because it comes from cans...and isn't real clams. |
 |
| This guy is always excited about a good burger. I've been set up. Amy said, "Clark, make the dumbest face possible. I won't put in our blog. Ever." You lied, Amy. |
 |
| The little fishing village of Meneshma. A village that Amy made up the name of. |
 |
| In Aquinnah we followed a path with a sign pointing toward the beach. It turned out to be rather a long walk! It was worth it though. The beach was totally deserted and misty and very cool. |
 |
| Red Cliffs of Aquinnah |
 |
| There were tons of jelly fish washed up on shore. Very curious little creatures. |
 |
| Gay Head Lighthouse. What you could see of it, anyway! |
 |
| The Field Gallery in West Tisbury. |
 |
| Our next stop was Oak Bluffs. It was full of AMAZING houses! |
 |
| These are the first of a few pictures of the houses coined as The Gingerbread houses. A community of 350 houses built by a Methodist group years ago. I didn't know that the Methodist church had extended a hand of fellowship to the gingerbread men, but apparently... |
Day 3: Chatham & Boston
 |
| In Chatham we stayed at the beautiful Captains House Inn. We enjoyed a cozy stay and a lovely setting. |
 |
| Can this be delivered to my bedroom every morning? Clark? Sure. As soon as you start delivering massages to my back and shoulders each morning. |
 |
| My Captain :) I don't know why Amy had to put a smiley face there. I guess she was just joking. |
 |
| The Town of Chatham is quintessential (a derivative of the word "quaint") New England. We spent the early afternoon enjoying Main Street. |
 |
| Pumpkin people on display in the city park. Pumpkin People sounds like a cool band name. |
This is a pumpkin mannequin of one of the most famous historical figures of America: Edgar Winter.
 |
| Fishing wharf. |
 |
| This is one of my favorite pictures. During lunch the elementary school paraded down to the park in their Halloween costumes to check out the pumpkin people. This ghost looked so hilarious holding up his giant head. Totally looked like those ghosts you can make out of tootsie pops and kleenex. :) I can only imagine the argument that occurred between that kid and his mother that morning. "Mom, this mask is hurting my neck and giving me a headache." "Timmy, stop complaining. You're going to miss the school bus." |
 |
| Kids in Halloween costumes on Main Street = adorable. Most popular costume appeared to be Mario. Saw at least 3 of them. "Mario" as in Mario and Luigi. Not Mario Lopez, the guy who played AC Slater. Only saw one kid dressed up as him. | | | | | | |
|
|
|
 |
| That evening we drove back up to Boston and met up with our friends Brian and Clare for dinner at Brown Sugar Café. Fantastic Thai food. The bowl Brian's food came in really was enormous, even though the angle of the camera makes it look even bigger. |
 |
| This also happened to be a birthday dinner for Brian. I will just say that Brown Sugar Cafe wins for having the most dramatic, unexpected way to celebrate birthdays. The lights turn off, a mini laser show appears on the wall and a bizarre version of Happy Birthday starts playing. Definitely memorable. |
Day 4: Boston and home.
 |
| We spent the morning eating breakfast, hat shopping, eating ice cream and prepping for Brian and Clare's Halloween party that evening. We were sorry to miss it! |
 |
| JP Licks |
 |
| On the way home a group of WWII veterans were traveling to Washington D.C. to be honored and see the memorial site. It was pretty cool to be there to clap and cheer for them as they slowly (and she means sloooooowly) got off the plane. Love our vets! It really was special. It was nice to be able to thank them for the good work they did. |
I think it is safe to say that we had a pretty phenomenal anniversary. Can't imagine my life without my wonderful husband and best friend. Here's to many more years of celebrating! Here, here. Or is it hear, hear?
9 comments:
What a cool trip! And I love being upgraded to a convertible...that happened when I took Cindy Lynn to Maui in 2006 and is probably responsible for Russ's car today! I love your foggy beach pics, Clark in shorts (BRR!!), and the incredible houses. Although you probably should be on your trip with another woman in order to be able to fully appreciate the beauty of the houses...
I'm so jealous of your trip!! And what a great blog! Can't wait to read the others you have to catch up on!!
So I'm just going to live vicariously through you guys and all your travels! I have had the NE on my list and know that somewhere in the planning of my life I was supposed to have a beach cottage in Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard. Looks like so much fun!
I am sooo jealous of all of your amazing adventures!! I wish Derrick and I would have been able to do the same back before the kiddos came around. Way to live it up!
Congrats on 3 years. You guys are so fun. I love all the cool trips you take. Love the gingerbread houses. I am excited for more updates as you catch up on your blog.
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous pictures!! WOW! Thanks for giving me some great ideas on things to do in New England. We live just north of Boston but we've never explored Martha's Vineyard or Dennis and Hyannis. So beautiful! Looks like an awesome trip and I have to say, Clark's comments were some of the funniest he's ever posted. A few favorites were when he referred to turning up the heat in private, his funny burger face, body fat percentage comparisons and delivering back massages in the morning. I was snorting laughing over some of those! Happy 3 year anniversary! You guys are an awesome couple!
this looks like an awesome trip- and actually kind of makes me hope in a small way that if we go to business school we end up in boston! however, more i LOVE clark's comments - hilarious, and the big halloween ghost head! Definitely awesome! Black Dog is not a very delectable name for a restaurant - the houses looked very quaint and remind me of our house in NC, and it is quintessential that we get together sometime with the 2 of you - not sure i used the last word right - but i was trying!
Fun trip!! Can we peruse the quaint East coast with you guys sometime? Also I want one of those colorful gingerbread houses. And clam chowder soup. :)
Don't ever say the word "quaint" again. . .Happy anniversary!!!
Post a Comment