Saturday, January 26, 2013

December Whirlwind

December happened.
And it was crazy.
And fun.
It included a 32nd birthday, many Christmas festivities, new iphones (yay!), a trip to Utah, a night at the Blue Boar Inn, the Nutcracker, a cousin's wedding, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert, a Scrollie breakfast, a trip to Georgia, 2 new nieces, 6 extra people sleeping in my house, Schmutz sibling togetherness, a trip to Charlotte, horrible diaper rash, outlet shopping (3 times), New Year's parties and homemade cinnamon rolls.

I've written a more detailed account in my journal, but here is some documentation of the holiday whirlwind. 
I had a birthday.  I celebrated with Emmett at a fun sing-along Christmas concert at Duke Chapel.  The Hansen's and Preece's were there too, which was fun for all of us--especially Emmett!  Clark had to work that night, but he did make me a pretty amazing Karl Malone birthday card.
The Young Women had a fun Christmas party with amazing white elephant gifts.  I love all these ladies!
Emmett is pretty much our young women mascot.  The girls love him and he in turn loves all the attention he gets from them.  I mean, just check him out in this picture!  The kid is such a ham.
 I wrapped up my classes for the semester and the next day Clark, Emmett and I did the long-airplane-thing and arrived in Utah.  We got to spend time with our families--that is, when they weren't at work or school.  It was mid-month, so not everyone else was in vacation-mode yet.  The low-key tone of the first part of our stay made it okay for us to sneak away for a night up to Midway sans toddler.  We stayed at the Blue Boar Inn, where we spent our wedding night.  It was a belated birthday/5-year anniversary getaway.  The setting was perfect with lots of big, slow-falling snow.
The food was fancy and delicious, and my sweet husband did a good job of acting like he wasn't feeling completely awful.  The poor guy had a burning fever and chills most of the night.  By morning he mustered enough energy to enjoy breakfast in the lovely setting above and then do a little shopping at the Park City outlets.   
We took Emmett over to Riverwoods to see the lights and were thrilled to see that Santa was there.  I had been feeling guilty that I hadn't taken him to see Santa yet.  I mean, what parent doesn't love their child enough to provide them with a tortured, crying, who's-this-creepy-guy-holding-me picture?  Not me.  Emmett was not at all impressed by Santa, though he actually doesn't look quite as distressed in the picture as he was at the time.  Despite his dislike of the actual Santa, he does a pretty fantastic (and adorable) Santa impersonation.  "Ho, ho, ho!"
Being in snowy Utah meant I got to make use of the adorable winter gear I'd purchased for Emmett the year before.  I can't get over how cute he looked as we made laps around the house in the snow.  
While Emmett may have been happy about the snow, he was not so happy about getting his hair cut.  Even the sucker didn't abate his whining and tears.  The kid has an impressive pout!

Clark had to head back to NC so he could work, but Emmett and I stayed for a few extra days.  In contrast to the first part of our stay, those few days were packed to the brim with holiday cheer, friends and family.  One of the best parts was that Phil, Jerai, Boyd and Brewer came down!
This little guy has the best cheeks and the best grin.  
Emmett (16 months), Boyd (4 yrs), Brewer (10 months)
The three boys actually got along and played quite well together.  Though, getting a great picture of all of them proved quite challenging.
Cute cousins in the tub.  
On Friday, Dec 14, Phil, Jerai and I went up to Salt Lake for the Mormon Tabernacle Christmas Concert.  We got there in time to walk around City Creek, see the candy windows and lights and eat at Crown Burger.  But the concert--the concert!  It was so powerful, moving, inspiring and beautiful.  I've been fortunate to attend a handful of these Christmas concerts in the past, which have all been excellent, but this one was the best ever.  Alfie Bowe was amazing and the story of the candy bomber was profound. There were multiple spontaneous standing ovations throughout the performance.  The Spirit was so strong.  The planning of the event is definitely guided by higher powers, which was evident in this year's production.  While the concerts in past years have always been spiritual, they've also been playful, fanciful and ornate.  In contrast, this year there were no elaborate set or extravagant decorations.  There were actually very few secular Christmas songs--maybe one or two.  Considering the tragic event that had taken place in Connecticut that morning,  it was only appropriate that the concert focused exclusively on the essence of Christmas and love and giving.  I really can't give it adequate description in words, but it was truly a sacred experience to be there.  And it was an excellent way to embrace the Christmas season.  
The next morning I got to see many of my dear Scrollie friends.  Our group has gotten large enough that we've resorted to gathering in church cultural halls!  
That day also included Preston's wedding sealing and luncheon.  It was really great to see so many of my extended family members.  From there we rushed to opening night of the Utah Regional Ballet performance of The Nutcracker, starring (at least for us, anyway) Beth.  Beth dances beautifully and it was wonderful to watch.  The birthday girl, Grandma Moulton, came with us which was another added bonus!  
Life didn't slow down from there.  The day after we got home, Clark and I jumped in the car for a day trip down to Georgia.  Little Baby Lucy had been born unexpectedly a few days earlier and Mags and Vaughn were stuck in Georgia by surprise and in desperate need of clothes.  We were glad to be helpful and were thrilled to meet Lucy.  The driving was actually quite pleasant without a screaming little boy in the back seat.  Thanks again to Hannah for keeping Emmett happy at home.
Lucy looks extra adorable now that she's home and without tubes!  Oh, I love her!  
 Just a few days later the New York Schmutzes and Kent made it to Durham.  We had a cozy Christmas Eve and Christmas, but had lots of funny and fun times.  Can you believe we took this group picture with just one timer shot?  A true Christmas miracle.  
 Some of the memories will include the awkward Hog Heaven experience where they ran out of pork sandwiches and then found two in the back.  :)  Also, singing Christmas classics about Shantytown, quoting Miranda opening her Christmas stocking, having another awesome gift-exchange, watching the cute cousins play and dance together, and showing the girls how ghetto-fabulous Northgate Mall is. Also, Lucy got to come home from the hospital on Dec 26, so we all got to spend a few days in Charlotte together (except for Clark, who had to go back to work).  
Dancing on tables is very appropriate for a toddler.  More dancing videos to come!  This video also debuts his obsession with the word "draw."  We hear it all. day. long.
 Santa Claus came!
Emmett was pretty excited about his table and crayons.   
 Clark was stoked about the signed Milsap jersey that he got.  And Memmett looks like a mermaid.
 Even though it took a few days (or so) for my house to recover from lodging an extra 5 adults and toddler, we were so pleased to have Clark's siblings here for the holidays.  
 To ring in the New Year, I got another beautiful niece on Dec 31.  Little Claire is as darling as can be and I am anxious to meet her in February!  To celebrate her birth, I let Emmett light some sparklers.  :)
And that, my friends, was December.
I need a nap.  


5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a busy and wonderful end to 2012!!! We are especially grateful for your kind, giving and gentle hearts. You guys have done so much for the family and us in particular You. are the best <3

justbecky said...

How fun to see all the pictures of your adventures!

Lindsay said...

So fun - I especially liked seeing the picture of the Blue Boar Inn... my home stomping grounds, you know. :) And that picture of you guys in the new Salt Lake mall is beautiful! I love those concerts. Glad you had such a fun month!

Beccarigg said...

Okay that picture of Emmett hamming it up in front of the Young Women is hysterical!! I seriously was laughing so hard! Oh my gosh! That is Clark's son no doubt! lol!! Also I have to say that your little nephew Brewer has the most precious chubby little cheeks and heart melting smile I have ever seen! What a scrumptious little guy! Looks like December was a crazy month for you but full of awesome experiences. Wish I could've been at that MoTab concert, sounds like it was incredible!

Cindy said...

I didn't post when I read this before, but I wanted to say that Clark is awesome, Emmett is cuter by the day, and I'm so glad you got to see Beth dance!!!