Thursday, August 29, 2013

Henry's Lake & the Monson Cabin

 It's rare that we are ever out West long enough to spend some time in Idaho--especially not more than a day or two.  Fortunately, our epic summer vacation allowed us a lovely stay.  We spent two nights at my grandparents' cabin on Henry's Lake in Island Park.  I hadn't been there since before I was married, and can I just say that it was heavenly to be in quiet, beautiful (non-humid) nature.  I could have easily been content with a good book or two and another week at the cabin.  We enjoyed time with my siblings, parents and Monson grandparents and immensely enjoyed the weather--cool nights, dry air, barely crisp mornings, and perfectly comfortable days.  Grandma kept us well-fed, and I tried to soak in the comfortable simplicity of cabin life. 

At the cabin itself, we filled the hours canoeing, doing puzzles, chatting, resting, sitting around a campfire, etc.  One night we tried to watch the Sixth Sense only to find that the video store had put the wrong movie in the case.  We ended up watching Casablanca (a great choice), which had been on our "to watch" list for quite some time.  Emmett spent the vast majority of his cabin time throwing rocks in the lake.  He honestly would have been throwing rocks from dusk til dawn if we had let him.  The kid has quite an arm, and one that never seemed to tire!
We also ventured out to other nearby beauties of nature including Mesa Falls, Big Springs (amazingly clear water), and Wade Lake (just over the Montana border).  We also visited the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center in West Yellowstone (interesting, but once is enough).  I'm so grateful for my grandparents' generosity and the opportunity to spend time with family away from the distractions of "home" life.  Already looking forward to the next time we can make it there. 
 Morning canoe ride
 Not the most helpful with the oar, but certainly enthusiastic
 A view from the lake
 The welcoming committee  :)
 Throwing rocks is serious business
 The windup
 The tongue
 Great grandpa and Pop Pop made excellent rock throwing companions
 Mesa Falls
 Big Springs--one of the head waters of the Snake River; absolutely crystal clear water.
 The spring water
 In previous years, there were lots of fish that you could easily see and feed due to the clarity of the water.  We spotted few fish, but were successful in feeding many seagulls. 
 Our resident throwing machine, feeding chips to the birds (no bread at the gas station).
Dad couldn't resist filling up his water bottle at the head waters.
 Bubbles and baseball when he wasn't throwing rocks...
 Brew napping in the hammock
 Checking out the grizzlies
 It was pretty cool to watch the bears forage for food and wrestle in the water.
 Taking a rest

Dirty-faced cousins
 The picture Phil refused to be in...
 At Wade lake with my sweet grandparents--the water was clear and cold!
 Throwing rocks...again.
And this I just had to throw in for fun--the back seat on our drive up to the cabin.  Obviously prepping for the adventures to be had!

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Looks like a beautiful and peaceful place! And the rock throwing just makes me laugh...

Katie said...

That looks like such fun Amy! After a lot of time in the ocean this summer, I've decided I'm more of a fresh-water girl. That water is beautiful!

Lindsay said...

What gorgeous pictures! Looks heavenly.

Hilary said...

GORGEOUS!