Sunday, October 11, 2009

It's a nervous tick motion of the head to the left

Last Thursday (October 8th), Amy and I and our friends Jared and Janae Weekes, attended an Andrew Bird concert. If you haven't heard of Andrew Bird before, then you need to check him out. Some of his songs are playing on our blog right now. Andrew Bird plays some guitar and writes some folksy-type songs, but he is also a classically trained violinist and considered one of the world's greatest whistlers. His music is hard to describe, so just give it a listen sometime. But in short, it was a great show. They played some of our favorite songs and played a good, long set. We love catching live shows and the last few we have been to, have been fantastic.

This was the song finale, "Scythian Empires." The opening band came back on stage to perform with Andrew Bird and a fun time was had by everybody.

Bird likes to play his violin like a guitar on occasion, as seen here. The other cool thing, Andrew Bird does is he uses a "loop machine." So he records a part on his violin and then he can have that part continue to play while he plays something new. He is really good at using the loop machine and it allows him to have a very interesting, full sound, even when he is the only one playing.



We were pretty happy to be at the concert. This weekend we are checking out Chris Merritt, another one of our favorite musicians, in Richmond, VA. Nothing like a good, live show.

Amy's notes: I love a good concert. However, I tend to love the concert a little bit more when I don't have to constantly fight for a "window" to see through. In my opinion, when the music is pretty low-key and there is no need for a mosh pit or other extreme dancing (I tend not to attend many those kind of concerts anyway), there should be lots of seating options--preferably auditorium-style so those who stand at 5' 3'' can still enjoy a view of the stage rather than the back of peoples heads. Now that's not too much to ask, is it?

I don't want to be too much of complainer, so I won't mention the heavy breathing (not Clark's) that I kept feeling on the back of my neck due to the lack of personal space during the concert. All in all, the concert was quite fantastic. I'll continue to endure the annoyances to enjoy great live music. Chris Merritt here we come!

6 comments:

The Reichmans said...

Spamburger I loved the heavy breathing comment-except I am sure it was rather disturbing while it was actually happening.

Cindy said...

For a minute I thought you were complaining about Clark snuggling up to you during the concert! I'm with you--I'm kind of creeped out by the thought of someone else being that close to the back of my neck!

Jerai Moulton said...

Sounds like a fun time! Phil and I would love to go to the Chris Merritt concert, but I'm not sure he's coming to Driggs any time soon! =)

Kathleen said...

Sweet! Looks like tons of fun, minus the creepy breathing. ;) Have fun in VA!

birdsays said...

Hey guys! Josh, Nano and I were just looking and as soon as the pictures came up Josh said, "Hey it's NC, they are our friends from NC....Amy and Clark!" He also said he wants to go to your house "the day after this". We miss you guys! We are doing good here. HOpefully I can post again sometime soon.

janae said...

Definitely a fun night and a great concert. I still need to make a post about it.