Sunday, December 6, 2009

Lucky 29?


While I'm not lucky enough to not have any gray hairs or to ever finish my pile of papers to grade, I am lucky to have really wonderful friends and co-workers. With Clark being out of town this weekend, my work friends were sweet enough to come all the way to Durham for a birthday/holiday celebration. We had lots of yummy things to eat and drink, lots of entertaining conversation, and some pretty fun games there at the end. It's always impressive when a group of teachers can stay up past midnight after a day of teaching school! One of the funny moments of the night was when someone wanted to open a bottle of wine only to find that I didn't have a wine bottle opener! Who doesn't have one of those in their kitchen?! Silly Mormons... :)
One of the main attractions of the night was our promise to make Chilean empanadas. It turned out to be quite the production and things in the kitchen were sketchy enough that someone decided to go get some take & bake pizzas! However, what came out of the oven was happily tasty--even if it wasn't exactly authentic. Thanks to Rosa for all her help!
I was terrible at blowing out the candles. I kept laughing which was really counter-productive. R.L. is the fancy cake-maker.
This is what happened to the first cake of the day. Poor Liz! She was thoughtful enough to buy a cake with multiple flavors to have something to please everyone; however as she was taking off the lid it toppled top down on to my less-than-spotless classroom floor! We did have a good laugh about it though!The tree is up and trimmed. Add some Sissel Christmas music, almond M&Ms and you've got a pretty ideal Sunday evening. A perfect way to wrap up a birthday weekend.

8 comments:

The Reichmans said...

I hope you had a good b-day and that you got my text! I had been thinking about you all week. where did clark go? It looks like it still turned out fun. I am glad I finally got to see pics of your parents visit-it looked very fun. What are the christmas plans-chile? I don't remember what you decided to do. miss you and love your guts

Maurine said...

Wow the tree looks great. I am so jealous that you got a real tree. We have this like 3 ft fake one and I am longing for a big real one. The other day I even found a tree lot (which are rare here because no one does real trees) and I just walked around a while so I could smell them. The tree guys thought I was nuts when I told them I wasn't interested in buying a tree just smelling them.
Glad your party turned out fun.

Cindy said...

Oh no--I was going to remember your birthday, but as you can tell I totally forgot! I'm glad you had a good day, and you should definitely invest in a wine bottle thingy. I mean what good mormon family doesn't have one???

Cindy said...

PS--betcha didn't know I also celebrated my 29th birthday...or rather, the 14th anniversary of my 29th!

Jessica Shumway said...

Happy birthday! Sounds like you had lots of fun. :) Miss you guys.

Caroline said...

Looks like a good party. I hope you had a happy birthday back on the 4th.

J.B. said...

Wait, I just re-read the first paragraph as I finished your Christmas post (also lovely), and I need to know - You really don't have any gray hairs? How did you get so lucky? 29 is when mine really started to proliferate, but I've had them for years and year. Sigh.

Amy and Clark said...

Julianne! Re-read! I have loads of gray hairs!