Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The nursery & the wardrobe

The babe's room is by far my favorite room the house.  Probably because it is the only room that has some true thoughtful design put into it.  It also has the most comfortable chair in the house, which happens to be the only piece of furniture we have ever bought new.  My mom gets the credit for being my on-call consultant and for making the adorable branch and cute curtains.  It wouldn't be nearly this cute without her.
The nursery has been a work in progress.  I guess it's not technically 100% done since I still have some pictures to hang and a poster to finish (the frames have been sitting against the wall now for over five months), but everything else is pretty much what it's going to be.  
The wardrobe was the most intense part of completing this room.  I inherited a potential-filled wardrobe from a friend and tackled a project way outside my comfort-zone and know-how.  A year ago over spring break, I started what I thought would be a week-long project.  It turned out to be more like a six-month project. 
This was my first attempt at refinishing furniture, which meant I did a lot of research on the internet, watched a lot of youtube videos, called my mother frequently, made dozens of trips to Home Depot and gave my then-pregnant self quite the workout.
I sanded, primed, painted one coat, then two.  It turned out the first color was horrible.  I had stressed out a lot while choosing the first color and stressed even more the second time around.  At the worst point I was having Home Depot nightmares that ended with me waking up in tears!
The second color looked great wet, but when it dried it was just okay.  However, at that point, okay was good enough and would have to do.  
1st and 2nd colors
Then we bought a green chair.  I knew I couldn't have two solid green pieces of furniture in the room, so once again I pulled out the paint brushes.  At the suggestion of my mom, I added some white accents and put a brown glaze over the entire piece.
The final touch was to line the inside, add a rod and attach the hardware.
The final product is far from a professional job, but it's done and now holds lots of cute clothes for little E.  I have to admit that I'm impressed I survived the whole ordeal; it was a ton of work.  It's safe to say that I won't be tackling a project of that size any time soon.  

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I just love Emmett's room. You put so much time and <3 into it. It's perfect :)

Cindy said...

Ok, I sort of want to do an wardrobe...although when I'm finally done here I'll need a good long vacation first!

Lindsey said...

The room is darling and the wardrobe is gorgeous! It's so fun to have a room complete that you can just sit in and enjoy!

janae said...

The wardrobe turned out so great!

Dedre said...

so sweet. you and your mom have great taste!
I'm going private and would like to invite you..I just don't have your email address. If you want an invite email me at dedrehartley(at)gmail.com