Sunday, November 16, 2008

Super senior?

I'll be honest and confess that I have been planning this post for a while. Is that totally lame to "plan" posts? Anyway, it really should have been posted a month or so ago, but I was waiting for a co-worker to send me the pictures of my fantastic retro-day outfit. Now that I spend my weeks being a high school teacher, I frequently have flashbacks to my own high school days. Some of the flashbacks make me laugh and others make me feel a little weirded out. It's just so strange to think of the passage of time and how my students are experiencing (more or less) a stage of life that I was in some ten years ago. I was feeling especially nostalgic during Homecoming Week. The dress up days, the pep-rallies, the football games, were something I really hadn't experience since my own high school days! Here are some pics of the good times.

I didn't dress up for each theme day of the week, but my co-worker and friend, Stephanie, had this fabulous outfit that her mother wore. Her mother is actually a little offended that people wear it for "dress-up." So here is the dress...
Did I say dress? I mean pant-dress!
At good old THS, I don't recall having any type of homecoming parade, but Broughton's tradition is strong and the floats were actually pretty good. A number of these kids are my students...poor things :)

That night Clark and I went to the football game and met up with some of my Spanish-teaching co-workers. I am holding Matt, Stephanie's son (bottom row, left). Broughton won the game (even though we only stayed for the first half), and I was thoroughly taken back to high school days of cheers, marching bands and school spirit.

And, of course I have to get yearbook pictures taken. Pictures that never look quite right, but that everyone will have documented in the yearbooks. Ugh! Isn't that one thing you shouldn't EVER have to do after high school?! Don't worry, I didn't actually pay to get prints of these--teachers get them for free. But I ask, who on earth am I supposed to give these to?

16 comments:

Maurine said...

Ahhh good old high school memories! Love the pants/dress. I think you should give your pictures to your students so they can remember their favorite high school teacher...no I don't know who did we give them to in high school? Each other? Weird.

Unknown said...

That pants/dress outfit is hilarious!

And the pictures, well... I don't know!
My parents are both teachers, and we have a packet of pictures for every year they have been teaching. It does make us laugh to look at them- especially since my dad wears a different tie every year!

Hilary said...

Ummmmm you look AMAZING! And of course I expect one of your yearbook pics to come to me in the mail with something fantastic written on the back.

Shaunee said...

I love your outfit! That is a classic! I'm glad you are reliving your H.S. days in a way... I just turn and run the other way. Great pictures!

Cindy said...

I am laughing at your school portrait because I ask myself that same thing year after year- why do they give me these pictures- what the heck am I going to do with them!! I have school pictures from the last seven years just laying around!

Holly Park said...

I'll take one:). HS Forever...
It was great to chat with you a few weeks ago!

Tara said...

Okay ... that pant dress is definitely the coolest thing I have seen in quite awhile. You could hide several small children in there!

Lucy said...

I remember feeling like a super senior when I worked at the high school in Rexburg!! Awesome dress/outfit!! Miss you!

Cindy said...

Ok, Amy, I have never seen anything like that in my life! I'm sorry the owner is offended, but I'm scared! What designer in the world conceived of something like that??

How fun to relive your high school days! The marching band picture really took me back. :)

Gavin and Natalie said...

Oh my word! You look like a complete professional! :) Homecoming week looked like a blast. I know exactly what you're talking about with the whole super senior thing. I always get nostalgic when we go the Gavin's little bro's games and I sit and watch the dancers/cheerleaders. How did we get so old? You look great! Love you!

Taryn said...

What a fun post! The hippie outfit was stylish! :) very fun! and I agree that would be weird having to have a picture taken for the yearbook again! So were their cheerleaders as good as you were?

Kathleen said...

Very impressive! Looks like tons of fun, and I'm loving the pants dress! I miss the fun football games, High school was really the last time I felt really connected to football, probably because I knew the players. Looks like fun!
Kathleen

Audrey said...

Now the dress alone would have caused a stir...then you go on to show us it is a pant dress. WOW! I linked off of your blog from Cindys...I hope you don't mind :).

Lindsay said...

HILARIOUS! Oh, I SO loved High School...though, I'm pretty sure that NOTHING I wore will ever go down in the books like that dress-pant thingy you're wearing! Too funny!

diana palmer said...

martin suggests trading school pictures with all your teacher friends.

The Reichmans said...

Happy Birthday to you-I hope you got my text. i love the yearbook picture-can i have one to post on my fridge-you look so grown up. I can't wait to see you. by the way could you send me your current address.