Saturday, April 18, 2009

Our Disney Road Trip Top 10

For spring break we decided to road trip down to Orlando to immerse ourselves in the magic of Disney. We had many favorite things, but we've limited it to our top 10! Drumroll please.

#10 South of the Border--
We didn’t actually go there, but there were billboards about every 20 feet for 80 miles of the park in either direction! This statement is no joke and no exaggeration. Despite the numerous advertisements for the place, we still aren’t entirely sure what it is...an amusement park? a campground? a market? a glorified Trafalga? The world may never know. And we also heard that Ben Bernanke got his start working at South of the Border.
#9 Beautiful sunny weather--
It was wonderful to wear shorts and sandals and enjoy the heat! We were also there during the flower and garden festival, so there were lots of flowers and bushes shaped as favorite Disney characters.#8 The Animation room at Disney’s Hollywood Studios--
A hidden gem! We had a great time doing voice recordings of various animated characters and finding out which Disney character we were most like! Lots of fun and no crowds.
#7 Dinosaur--
Jamie and I totally coerced Clark into riding this ride. He is not a big fan of things jumping out at him and making loud screechy noises. I laughed a lot during the ride but never so hard as when we saw the picture taken of us during the ride! Clark's head was buried in his lap with his ears covered. Clark's note: "Look, guys. We all have our irrational fears. Mine happens to be sitting in a dark room and being attacked by giant, fake dinosaurs when the lights come up. Call me crazy. I certainly won't be riding that ride ever again."
#6 Hanging with Jamie--
Jamie is one of Clark’s close high school friends. She works for Disney and was extremely kind and helpful as far as getting us into parks and giving up her bed to us for a few nights. She showed us some great local places to eat and took some time off of work to play with us in the parks.#5 KP Mission--
Our Kim Possible Mission sent us to Germany to stop some evil guy from turning the city into zombies through something that had to do with selling pretzels. Our mission had various steps to it, and it was pretty impressive to see how secret messages were set up through out the park. We received our mission through a cell phone and a secret message at a miniature village.

#4 Expedition Everest--
A great rollercoaster. It was a bit of a wait, but at least the line winds through museum like rooms with info and artifacts about yetis and such.
#3 American Idol Experience--
Definitely intimidating and nerve-wracking, but pretty fun to have “been there, done that.” We both made it past the first auditions (me with "La Bamba" and Clark with "I heard it Through the Grapevine") and into the top 40. We full on sang in a microphone in front of a judge. My favorite part was Clark retelling his audition. He walked into the audition and the judge asked him what experience he had with vocal performance. He told her he sang in rock groups since the 7th grade. Then when she asked what he was going to sing, he said, "I Can Show You the World" from Aladdin. She wouldn't let him sing it, because it wasn't rock. He was nervous and it was the only song lyrics he could remember.
#2 Toy Story Mania--
There was tons of hype for this ride and LONG lines--at one point it was 3 hours long! We got a fast pass that morning to come back at 8 p.m.! Luckily, it was totally worth it! It was probably the cutest ride I have ever ridden and it was loads of interactive, 3-D fun! We loved the enormous childhood toys that adorned the rooms where the line meandered. Remember how fantastic viewfinders were and who doesn't love giant tinker toys?

#1 Splash Mountain--
We rode this ride 4 times in a row on the same log from 12:00-12:45 a.m.! A great view and a great drop!

Overall, Amy and I had a great time. Again, thanks a ton to my good friend Jamie for hanging out with us and giving us rides around Orlando. We loved our Spring Break to Disney World and can't wait to go back someday. Next time we might think about taking kids because then we won't get so many funny looks when we wait an hour in a half to ride Peter Pan. But hey, we are just a couple of adults who don't want to ever grow up. And if you'll excuse us, it's time for cookies and milk and an afternoon nap.





7 comments:

Jerai Moulton said...

Oh how I wish that Phil and I could have gone with you guys! The trip sounded like so much fun! I love all of you pictures and adventures. I would have loved the Kim Possible mission!! You really should have bought that picture of Clark on the dinosaur ride, priceless. But I guess since they charge you like $50 for one picture, it really isn't worth it. On another note, we miss you guys so much! Clark, it was so much fun to see you while you were in town! Thanks for coming over and watching the Jazz game on Sunday. I was glad that Phil had some one who knew some thing about sports to watch it. I'm pretty sure he even forgot Boyd and I were there he was so into the game and loving talking about sports! We miss you guys so much. Once we figure out how to get some money we're going to come out and visit you!! Amy, hopefully you're planning and coming to visit soon! Love you!!

Anonymous said...

Aww, you guys went to the place that Dave and I spent our honeymoon almost exactly 4 years ago!! Loved this post, made me wish we were with you!! :)

jenna said...

why have i not seen this post yet?!??! the american idol interactive experience?!?!?!? ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. i have NEVER NEVER been so jealous, except that time you married clark. i still wish i had gotten to him first. oh my gosh you guys. what a fun trip. come see us. please?

Cindy said...

Your trip sounds like so much fun! When we took our big kids to Disney (to celebrate having survived 2 years with triplets) my favorite ride was Toy Story. That was total fun. We also loved the Tower of Terror & Rock & Roll Roller coaster, and I answered a question correctly for "Who Wants to be a Millionaire." But I don't think I could do the Idol thing. (Unless the judges were 6 year olds who were going to judge me on my creative use of sign language in the song!)

Jamie said...

Come again, any time! Loved having you here!

Kathleen said...

All I can say, is it looks like you had an AWESOME time ;)

Anonymous said...

You look so much like Sarah!