Monday, August 22, 2011

Emmett's story

[Clark's comments in baby boy blue]
I've spent over nine months wondering what my "story" would be.  Where would I be when I went into labor?  Would my water break?  If so, where?  Would I be one of those people with easy labors and deliveries?  How would this little baby boy make his arrival?

I was a little disappointed when I set an induction date.  It seemed so anti-climactic to go to the hospital in such a prepared manner.  On Saturday, Aug 13, we got the house all clean, packed our bags and went out for one final meal.  We arrived at the hospital around 6 p.m. or so, checked in and hung out in an antepartum room. Around 8:30 they put in the cervidil and an I.V.  A few hours later we were moved to our labor/delivery room where they hooked me up to monitors and told me to get some rest for my big day tomorrow.  This is about the time that Amy informed me that she had never had to get an IV and had never really been checked into a hospital ever.  I was aghast.  For one, everyone has had a major surgery by adulthood, I figured.  I certainly spent many hours in hospitals growing up.  Two, it was surprising how uncomfortable the hospital setting was making Amy.  I guess I take it for granted and get used to it, because it's like a second home to me, but she really felt uneasy.

Around midnight I was brushing my teeth when my water broke.  It was a little shocking but exciting that I was at least making some steps toward labor on my own.  However, the next few hours were really quite awkward as I continued to randomly gush water, particularly with each contraction.  Trying to rest on a bed of wet towels isn't super relaxing, especially when the contractions interfered with my ability to sleep.  At one point (around 3 a.m.) I called the nurse in to see if these were legit contractions or if these were really something I was supposed to be able to sleep through.  She wasn't all that helpful and just kept saying how labor is different for everyone.

It was a long night of no sleep.  Clark tried to comfort me the best he could but I pretty much just sat at the side of the bed trying to breathe through contractions and doze a little in between.  By the morning, I was pretty much over the whole being in labor thing and felt very tied down and attached to machines.  She wasn't, but I can see how she felt that way.  Like I said, the hospital made her a little uneasy.  The doctor came to check me about 8:30 a.m.  She found that the cervidil had come out at some point during the night and that I was dilated to a three.  I had made enough progress that I didn't need to be put on any pitocin, which was an answer to many prayers on my end!

With my spirits buoyed and my friend Laura there as a doula/support person/labor coach, I spent the next 3 hours laboring in the jet tub on and off the monitors.  Clark and Laura took such good care of me and helped me relax and breathe and meditate during contractions.  In all honesty, Laura took such good care of Amy and I was just there for support.  Laura put Amy in an absolute trance and I could tell immediately that Amy was able to relax fully through the contractions rather than just bear them.  It was awesome.  We owe a lot to Laura.  Something more than a giftcard, but less than the rights to our firstborn son.  With those parameters, does anyone have any suggestions?  I felt like the contractions had been getting pretty strong but the nurse told me that they weren't consistent enough to be considered active labor and that I should try walking around for a while.  When I was on my feet, I certainly didn't feel like walking around the halls as my contractions started coming every 30 seconds or so.   Instead, I walked around the room and used the birthing ball to lean on during contractions.  Around 1:30 or so I had to get back in bed for some more IV antibiotics (I was strep B positive), and Clark and Laura used counter pressure to try to help me through some intense contractions.  My goal was to get at least to a 6 or 7 before getting an epidural but at this point I was ready for an epidural regardless of my progress; and since the medical staff wasn't keen on checking the cervix often, I had them go ahead and call for the anesthesiologist.

Waiting for the epidural was definitely the worst part of labor.  My contractions were hard, and I was losing my ability to keep my cool and breathe through them.  By the time they had given me enough fluids and the anesthesiologist arrived (around 2:30), I was hurting big time and felt almost like throwing up during contractions.  I immediately asked where to sign for the epidural consent and was grateful to have an expert anesthesiologist who let me stay lying on my side there to administer the epidural.  I had to get through a few more contractions while the epidural took effect, but once it did--oh, how wonderful!  The doctor came to check me and gave me the great news that I was completely effaced and at a NINE! Amy had never been so excited as she was right then at being called a "nine." Wahoo!  I was pretty pleased with how far I had gotten without an epidural, and I was extremely pleased that I was no longer feeling any pain.

My nurse told me to take a little nap and rest up for pushing.  I gladly obeyed (remember, I hadn't slept all night) and woke up an hour (more like 2) later feeling much better.  We started the pushing phase around 4 p.m.  My epidural felt great;  I could still feel and (kind of) move my legs.  I was able to really enjoy pushing through each contraction.  The fact that the nurse kept telling me how great of a pusher I was, was also nice.  :)  I even enjoyed using the mirror, so I could see my progress.  This was after using the mirror to fix her hair and makeup incase of any upcoming pictures.  My wife's priorities were right where they should have been.  [In my defense, and as you will obviously tell by the pictures, fixing my hair consisted of putting it in a ponytail and makeup was essentially non-existent.  And after pushing, none of that really mattered anyway :) ] My contractions were coming about every five minutes, so we took our time and got baby out an hour and a half later.

Watching my little boy be born was one of the most wonderful, joyous moments of my life.  As soon as his little head came through I was all smiles and happy tears.  It really is inexplicable.  It's amazement and joy and apprehension and overwhelmingness all at once.  You have to experience it to understand, I think.
I was so happy that I didn't pay to much attention to the 15 minutes of stitches I got afterward.  I could never get an exact number out of the doctor of how many I needed...but boy did I feel them afterward!


The moments that followed were so sweet and tender.  We couldn't stop oohing and ahhing over each little feature.  He was calm and bright-eyed, taking in everything around him.  I honestly don't think he cried that whole first night.
First family photo.
 Baby is handsome as can be.
Proud Papa.

Emmett's tongue/mouth/hands obsession.
Overall, I am very pleased with our birth experience.  While the initial night was difficult and the last hour of contractions extremely painful, my support system was amazing.  I can't thank Laura enough for all her help; it made a huge difference.  I had a great nurse [Pam] that day of labor, and I actually ended up liking the doctor a lot even though I had a lot of reservations about her at the clinic.  I was so grateful to not have to have pitocin, to be able to use intermittent monitoring, and to have progressed so far without an epidural.  I was also so grateful to have the epidural at the end and really be able to enjoy the delivery.  It's amazing how the painful parts of the experience seem to become a distant memory once the baby arrives.  I second that notion.









14 comments:

Lindsey said...

Way to go Amy!!! I am so happy for you guys, I love that stage where you just can't get enough of the little guy and you take a million pictures of every new facial expression, outfit, sleeping position and all the firsts! Have so much fun!!!!

Lexey said...

Amy you are amazing! He is a handsome little guy! Congrats to you guys!!

justbecky said...

Great Story! He is so beautiful! I can't wait to hold him! (We've had some random fevers with our kids, so I'm waiting.)

Unknown said...

Amy is seriously super woman. I love you guys so much.

Steph said...

love love love the story, with clark's comments of course added. He is darling and so alert. Happy for you guys!!!

Beccarigg said...

Okay I totally got teary eyed reading your birth story. : ) The moment when you first meet your child is so amazing. I've always felt like heaven touches earth when a baby is born. You did so great through your labor and I can't believe you got to a 9 before your epidural! You are one tough cookie! I got to an 8 with Camden and I have never been happier to see a giant needle in my life than when that anesthesiologist walked in the room to give me my epidural!

Emmett is such a beautiful little boy. I've never seen a newborn so wide eyed and alert! Congratulations you two! Enjoy that amazing little bundle of perfection : )

Jerai Moulton said...

I love this post. I've read and looked at it multiple times! I can't get enough of the pictures! That boy is so handsome!! And I loved reading about your story! You are one tough mama, but I already knew that. =) It was so fun to iChat with you guys and see Emmett awake and giving us little smirks! I'm still crossing my fingers over here for a boy (I would like Emmett and this baby to be best friends too)! Love you guys tons! Give Emmett a little squeeze for us!

Violet said...

Congrats Amy!!!! You are going to be such a great mom!!!!!!!!!

Jade said...

Super proud of you, Amy, and so excited for all the great things you have ahead of you.

Cindy said...

Hooray! I love all of the details! I'm so glad that you didn't need pitocin, and great perspective on the epidural! He is such a cutie, and that first video made my jet-lagged self tear right up!

Jessica Shumway said...

Such a good post. I cannot wait to meet Emmett. :) He is so beautiful! Good job Amy - you are a strong mama! I can't wait to see future posts as you guys have some of the best times together EVER!

Kathleen said...

Love!!!!!

Caroline said...

Congratulations Amy - what a handsome baby boy you have! Loved reading about your labor story, you are one tough girl. So happy for all 3 of you. Love you much.

J.B. said...

Good work (on getting Emmett here and on getting his birth story written so quickly. I figure if I do it within the first year, I'm good, and even that is looking sketchy)! You are an amazing strong woman and your baby and family are both gorgeous!