Friday, September 9, 2011

My great feat

I did it.
All by myself.

   For years I have missed the bottled peaches and pears that my mom has at home.  I really did try to figure out a way I could transport the ones my mom canned to North Carolina.  Airlines?  USPS?  In the end, not great (or affordable) options. 
   Next, I tried to take advantage of the time my mom was here after Emmett was born, thinking we [meaning mostly she] could spend an afternoon canning.  However, peaches were expensive and not quite ripe; and we really didn't have the time or the energy. 
   When my friend Cindy told me she was going the South Carolina and could get peaches for a great price, I decided I was just going to have to woman up and learn how to can fruit. 
   It actually wasn't horrible.  I had a detailed list of steps to follow (thanks to my mom), and I had a relatively successful go at it.  Unfortunately, the majority of the peach pits split when I cut the peaches in half, which was a total pain.  I also learned the difference between peaches that are truly ripe versus ones that are just about ripe when peeling the skins.  In the end, I managed 12 sealed, lovely quarts of peaches. 
   Hooray!
  

7 comments:

J.B. said...

I felt similarly proud when I canned cherries. But I had not so recently given birth (in fact, at that time I had never given birth). My hat is off to you. Amazing.

Cindy said...

Still so impressed. :)

Anonymous said...

Impressive, with a new bron no less! So happy for you Amy:)

Rachel and Steve Moulton said...

I need to learn that skill. Your moms canned peaches and pears are the BEST. Nice work!

Hilary said...

Dude.....seriously impressed.

Dedre said...

way to go. I'm lucky...I've always at least had my sisters to help me ;)

Lindsay said...

I need to learn your skills! I've never actually even tried it because I've been so scared of it. :) I'm impressed!