Saturday, November 12, 2011

Conquering our Fears in High Places

After spending the most of the day in Palmyra (a bit longer than we'd originally planned), we hurried West for two hours to try to see Niagara Falls before it was too dark.  I had never been before, and I couldn't justify being in the near vicinity and not seeing it.
   We got there just before dusk.  The visitor's center was already closed, so we bundled up (it was pretty chilly) and walked to the lookout (just the American side--we didn't all have passports).  Our pictures aren't great, but they do document that we were there--even if was just for 10 minutes!  Clark here.  Visiting Niagara Falls was a special accomplishment for me.  I used to have nightmares about falling over the guard rails there and down into the billowing waters.  I was a strange kid and had many fears.  One was masks.  Another was heights and falling in general.  One time I heard that people fell off the Niagara Falls in a barrell and I was territfied.  So, the bottom line is that I came, and I saw, and I didn't fall into the falls, like I always suspected I would.  I have really grown up.

Fighting for space under mom's fancy bubble umbrella. 
Here's Emmett all bundled up.  It was probably like 30 degrees outside with the wind chill.  Not the optimum time to visit the falls.  Or anything for that matter.
   To try to make our Niagara excursion a bit more worthwhile, we headed up to Lewiston to eat at a place called The Silo.  We found out about this supposedly delicious restaurant with its scenic views of the river from Man vs Food.  If you haven't seen man v. food, you should really watch it sometime.  We pulled up to the restaurant, eager for some warm food, only to find that it was boarded up and closed for the season.  So disappointing!  We ended up at a place called Apple Granny's which left something (okay, a lot) to be desired (though we did get a feel for the local folk).  Let's just say that when Chicken Tenders are your best offering, you aren't really that good of a restaurant.  Quinton was the only person satisfied with his food and he got chicken tenders.
   After dinner we loaded back in the cars and drove two hours south to Bradford, PA where we stayed the night.  In the morning we drove through the Alleghany National Forest and visited the Kinzua Sky Walk, the remains of what was once the highest and longest railroad viaduct in the world.  Sounds pretty cool, right?  Well, it was pretty cool; but it was also cold, rainy and windy and pretty much all the beautiful fall foliage was long gone.  Our walk along the viaduct was just long enough to take a few pictures but still long enough for Clark to get anxious about being so high up! Hey I conquered my fears of Niagara Falls, but I haven't completely conquered my general fear of heights.  I think I might be stuck with it.  And I am also not afraid of masks anymore, so 2 out of 3 isn't bad.  Right, Meatloaf?  There is some empty space between each rail, and at the end there are some glass windows on the bottom that allow you to experience the height even more!
 Checking out the glass floor.  Clark wasn't letting our baby go anywhere near it!  There is a line between having fun and being a reckless parent.  And I was terrified of the view in the glass.  It takes a big man to admit that.  And it takes a big man to break the glass with his weight and I was afraid that might happen when I stood on it as well.  I gained some pounds over the holidays.
 The rest of the bridge was destroyed by high winds...which didn't make us feel much better about being out there on a windy morning!
 A speedy walk back to the cars!
Just imagine if the trees still had their leaves...that would be quite the view!
Here's a shot of our traveling baby--just because he is so handsome.

1 comment:

Beccarigg said...

Favorite line of this post: "It takes a big man to admit that. And it takes a big man to break the glass with his weight ... I gained some pounds over the holidays." haha! Your posts always make me laugh. : ) Also I'm putting Niagra Falls on our New England bucket list of things we have to do before we move. Even though you were only there for a little while I'm still totally jealous, I've always wanted to see the falls.