Sunday, June 9, 2013

The way we celebrate

Clark had a birthday on May 23, but we did our best to celebrate all week.  It probably won't surprise you that the bulk of our celebrating centered around new tasty food--burgers in particular.  :)

Since Clark had to work the night of his birthday, we started the celebration a day early with a matinee of Star Trek II and dinner at Only Burger.  The movie was very entertaining and the burgers did not disappoint.  Clark's burger, the "Texan", was topped with brisket, an onion ring, pepper jack cheese, jalapenos and chili mayo. My burger, the Sloppy Tommy, had fresh guacamole, cheese sauce, chili and fritos.  Mmmmm.  I've eaten so many great burgers that I have started to put them on a scale.  I think Only Burger might be the best burger place I've ever eaten, due to the tastiness of the burger, mixed with the variety of the burgers and the fact that it is open for most of the day.  Wimpy's grill also has tremendous burgers, but you can't get tons of different kinds and they are only open until 2pm.  Just as a burger, Wimpy's "Garbage Burger" gets a solid 9 out of 10, but because of the reasons I mentioned, Only Burger is a 9.5. 
The next morning we ventured downtown to check out Monuts Donuts with a few friends (Kuettels and Hansens).  Monuts had a variety of different donut flavors that day and it was hard to narrow it down to just a few (or five).  The chocolate and apple cider ones were my favorite.
I had to go ahead and order the bagel sandwich of the day because it looked so amazing.  And it was.  It really was.
Turns out Emmett is a pretty big donut fan.  He's been talking about them ever since and the way his little voice says "donut" so clearly is dang cute.
Since Clark had to work the night of his birthday, Emmett and I dropped in and surprised him with cinnamon rolls.  It takes a very special occasion for me to brave making those!  They were awesome.  Now I'm everyone's favorite coworker.
Cake from Clark's co-workers.  It was a healthy night on 4200...
A few days later, we tried out another little shop with rumors of a fabulous burger.  Sutton's is down on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill and has been around for over 90 years.  It really is still a functioning drug store with a pharmacy in the back, greeting cards for sale and other such drug store goods; but there is also an old-fashioned dining area in the back.  The burger was good.  Not quite the best burger ever, in our opinion, but tasty nonetheless.  We also enjoyed our banana milkshake, crinkle fries and onion rings.  Now just as a burger, the one at Sutton's was really tasty.  It had a nice flavor and could rely stand on it's own merits, without having to doll it up too much.  I liked it.  It was a solid 6.5 out of 10 on my professional burger scale.
Actually, Emmett really enjoyed the banana shake.  We hardly got a taste of it. 

Happy Birthday, Clark.  Glad we could celebrate you by trying out some fun new restaurants. 

1 comment:

Hilary said...

I dig the way you guys celebrate. Let's hang out and eat good food together.