Some things just don't change much at high school dances. Like the awkwardness of being one of the first twenty people there and no one dares go out on the dance floor. There are girls excited to show off their fancy dresses to their friends. And there are the awkward couples that aren't sure about being on a date or being with their date--one of the two. It was pretty fun to make the rounds and see my students dressed up and excited and out of the classroom.
So, some things, it turns out, ARE a little different than I remember them. There were always a select few at a dance involved in "dirty dancing" but it was never like I saw it this night. My favorite was trying to always maintain the "I'm not shocked or horrified or violated by any of this" expression. I had to tell Clark a few times to "Stop making that face!" It was hard not to let your jaw drop and your eyes get wide as you saw a mass of young teens involved in some serious bumping and grinding! I think I prefer to think of my students as only students. I'd rather not think too much about their "extracurricular" activities...
On a more positive note, you have to give the kids props for their serious work putting together the decorations. This year's theme was Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I took a few pics before the lights went off to give you and idea of the decor. Also, it was really fun to see all the talents shown at the assembly the day before.
Editor's (Clark's) note: Amy gave you the G-rated version, so allow me to upgrade you to at least a PG version of the dance. It was crazy. In Utah when kids would participate in "freak dancing" as the young ones used to call it, you would see some dancing that just wasn't appropriate for public display, or private display at that time in their collective lives. But the kids in Utah never could commit fully to this type of lewd dancing. Either it was not socially acceptable, or else kids' consciences got the best of them. Well you can throw all of that out of the window at Broughton High School. These kids were being dirty. Let's just put it that way. I think Amy's comment at the end of the night sums it up nicely: "I wouldn't do most of that dancing with my own husband." So...yeah. But the most shocking thing to me was this. EVERYONE was dancing this way, not just the cool kids. Even, and pardon my perpetuation of high school stereotypes, the band geeks and drama dweebs were dancing this way with their dates. You know the kid in high school who can grow a full beard and so he does. But he doesn't shower or bathe and he watches the Lord of the Rings trilogy EVERY week and plays the pan flute in his backyard? You know the guy I am talking about. Well he was at the dance too. And he was dancing way too intimately with his equally unhygenic and earthen date. It made me sick to my stomach sometimes. So while I won't deny the fact that I was making some faces of disbelief, I will only tell you that it was totally justified. And for you future parents of high schoolers, do whatever is in your power to get your kids to not go to date dances. A fancy dinner, a video game system, maybe even a car. Do whatever it takes, cuz it is only going to get worse.
Editor's (Amy's note): I think my husband is being just a tiny bit dramatic and overprotective of your kids. There were at least a few kids not participating in the freaking fest.
Editor's (Clark's Note): No I am not and yes so, every kid was dancing that way.

10 comments:
I felt a little sick to my stomach just reading Clarks version- I don't think I could have handled witnessing it live! You guys are too funny
Oh my goodness. As one who grew up outside of Utah, I could imagine perfectly what you were describing. And after reading your post, I am reminded of how much you make me laugh and that I miss you guys SO much!!
Sounds like an interesting night! That's why I tell my kids they can't date until they are 30!!
haha.. i'm totally giggling right now picturing the "unhygenic" couples. so sad!
glad you guys got to relive those lovely high school moments :)
clark is becoming quite the prude. come on! even amy says *%$! once in a while (which btw, totally made my day)!
This is exactly why I didn't chaperone the Valentines dance at Jefferson HS. Real scary stuff.
Also, the Lord of the Rings kid sounds so awesome.
LOL, you're not in Kansas ... Provo anymore :D
wow-it sounds like quite the night. It brought me a few laughs reading it so thank you. We missed you saturday. Have you heard anne gardner' s big news?
you guys are super funny, but i have to say how sad i am. those kids don't know what they're doing. as chaperones, um, aren't you supposed to break that kind of thing up? i guess it would be impossible since everyone does it, but can some kind of rules be enforced? i'm sure you were FANTASTIC chaperones, so I don't mean to be such a drag but, I just can't bear to know this goes on unchecked....
oh man you guys are toooo cute! soo funny! I would have loved to see Clark's expression in person!
Post a Comment