Life has been busy ever since we got back from our great Texas spring break adventure. Mostly we just work and work (the school year is ALMOST done!!!), but every now and then we sneak in something fun...or at least eventful.
Here is what we've been up to:
1) Prom.
We made an appearance for about an hour, during which we entertained ourselves by spotting the most awkward couples and making up what conversations they might be having. I thought that they had pretty great decorations for having a space-themed prom; they managed to make it look fairly elegant.
2) Wicked.
The third time around was still 100% enjoyable and entertaining. We bought group tickets with some ward members nearly a year ago and are now looking forward to doing the same thing with Lion King which is coming in January. Thank you, Durham, for building the DPAC.
3) My pseudo garden.
When I haven't been lesson-planning or grading (which hasn't been very often), I've probably been watering or planting or building a trellis. So far things seem to be growing relatively well--if you don't count my cilantro which died as soon as I transferred it outside. I've got tomatoes (3 kinds), peppers, cucumbers, a variety of herbs and a few different kinds of flowers growing. Thanks to my friend Janae who gave me lots of cute pots when she moved, and to Chick-fil-A who sold me green 5-gallon buckets for a dollar each (previously used for pickle chips).
These I did not plant from a seed, which is why they are so full and blooming so lovely.
I made the trellis out of twine and bamboo sticks, so hopefully my peas will climb and climb. I am fascinated at how they grab hold and wrap around things.
Here is the hydrangea plant I bought on craigslist for $10. Next time I will spend $20 and get one that is already grown and healthy and 4 times this size at Costco. You can also see my practically dead cilantro in the bottom right pot.
Vincas are one of my new favorite flowers. Look how cute the flower is before it opens!
4) A frog.
This little guy caught me very much by surprise as I was filling up my watering can. It was the first time I had to deal with a frog in my house and according to Clark I probably didn't "deal" with it very well. In my defense, while I don't necessarily consider myself scared of frogs, I do tend to shriek when creatures (be it amphibians or bugs) unexpectedly jump out of things ... like watering cans. At least it was good entertainment for my mom who was on the phone with me at the time.
After being woken up by shrieks, Clark banished me from the house
while he caught our little friend in a tupperware.
5) Apartment hunting.
You may remember here how our landlord showed up at our place with the owner's daughter (and prospective future resident of our apartment) a while back. Well it looks like she'll be moving in come August, and if the owner doesn't approve of our offer to buy a triple bunk bed, we'll be needing new place to live. It gets complicated to find a place in our price range, within the ward boundaries, and close to the freeways so my commute doesn't get longer. Hopefully the busyness of the school year ending and checking out new places will keep my emotions in check. It seems that I am rather sentimental about this dear little apartment that has been our first home together. Sniff, sniff.

9 comments:
ah, man. Your garden looks way better than mine. My poor broccoli and lettuce are looking pretty sad these days.
I am coveting your $1 buckets. I am not coveting your frog experience. Bleh. I shriek like a banshee when I come across animals or bugs. (Too bad NC is full of both!)
(I vote for you buying Amy's house.)
You have quite the green thumb! I'm so proud of you (especially since you've seen my sad excuse of a backyard...I am committed in my next house!). Good luck apartment hunting...moving is a pain!!
Your frog pic is SO CUTE! (I'm a fan of frogs...) And yes, in the ward boundaries is a definite prerequisite!!!
What a fun spring! Hope everything at school wraps up well and you find a great apartment that fits all of your requirements. Something will work out!
Good luck finding the right place to live. I am also impressed with your gardening skills. I always kill all I attempt to grow. Hopefully the last few weeks of school will go by fast for you.
I can't believe you have to move out. :( You will make the next place even cuter and better!
Ah prom : ) Did I ever tell you I taught high school Spanish too? Just for 3 years before I had kids. Anyway, while I was teaching Taber and I chaperoned a prom together and it was fun reminiscing on the high school dance days. Although I have to say, WE certainly didn't dance the way they do, (did we?!)
That's awesome that you guys got to see Wicked. We bought tickets with a bunch of people from our ward to see it this coming October. Seriously can't wait!
And love love your garden! The ChickFila green buckets are genius and the trellis is awesome! Great post, good luck with all the end of semester madness!
You better not leave the ward boundaries! And it looks like I will need some gardening tips from you one time...especially on how to capture those frogs. They are everywhere!
I also find it amazing that you had the wherewithal to take so many great pictures of the frog! Did you camera just happen to be in the kitchen? Nice work for capturing the moment on film :)
Post a Comment