Monday, August 27, 2012

Sugar & Spice, a baby shower

 Sugar and spice and all things nice is just what my dear friend Elizabeth deserved to celebrate the soon-to-be baby girl she was growing.  She was kind enough to fly out from California, so we could have the honor of throwing her a grand party.  We tried to incorporate fun, playful sherbet colors in a sweet and elegant sort of way.

We ordered the invitations on esty.
 Our menu items had to go with our Sugar & Spice theme, so we tried to incorporate a variety of spices and flavors.
The Menu:
• Melon & mozz layered salad w/ poppyseed dressing in small mason jars
• Mango, shrimp & avocado salad w/ cilantro
• Chicken, gouda & apple salad w/ honey mustard dressing and salted pecans
Subtly spicy brownies w/ chocolate mousse swirl -- These were my favorite!
• Jill's famous sugar cookies
• Mini snicker doodle ice cream sandwiches
Lavender-honey dark chocolate tart with a cardamom-lemon crust -- This was almost amazing--next time I will either cut the amount of lavender in half or leave it out all-together.  It was just a little too strong.
• Ginger spearmint lemonade -- Mmmmmmm.
 I love this piece that my dad built at my mom's request.  The mason jars screw into lids embedded in the wood.  You can fill the jars with candles, flowers, etc.  So versatile and pretty!
 Even more important than the decor and the food were the guests!  It was wonderful to visit with so many friends from the Edgemont 20th ward.
Elizabeth has a such a beautiful momma-to-be glow.  
We happened to have some paper that matched the invitations, so with the help of a scanner and dafont.com, I put together this little "wishes for baby" sheet for the guests to complete.
 This little party crasher is in need of a hair cut...
Congratulations to Elizabeth and her sweet little Caroline, who made a surprise arrival 6 weeks early!  We love you both!

3 comments:

LcMcCants said...

You guys throw some freaking AMAZING looking Showers!!

I hope Mommy and Baby are doing great!!

Lindsey said...

The food sounds amazing and everything looks so flowery and beautiful and how fun to be there with Elizabeth! I wish I could have been there!

Holly Park said...

Amazing! How fun!