Sunday, August 26, 2012

Wonderland, a garden party

The cousins/daughters (many of them) before entering "Wonderland"--hats required!
The sisters/moms
This year our annual Monson Girls' Garden Party was an Alice in Wonderland/Mad Hatter's Tea Party theme.  It was held in Idaho Falls in Aunt Geri's backyard.  Once again, everyone (particularly my mom and Aunt Geri) went above and beyond to make it a spectacular event.  The fact that the party started at 8 p.m. instead of 5:30 p.m. as printed on the invitation really was a blessing.  By the time we sat down to eat, the summer heat had cooled and it was perfect weather for being outdoors.   I do wish I had a picture of the invitations.  They were so adorable.
Entrance to Wonderland.  
Teacups & saucers, mushrooms, arrows, keys, hats and clocks.
The teacup and utensil chandeliers were lovely.  
The food was beautiful and delicious.
Meringue mushrooms, macaroons, petit fours...
Beautiful cupcakes--I love how the ones with fondant turned out!
Mini lemon tarts, sugar cookies, mini ruffle cakes, lady bug crackers, mini potato bites and so much more!
The tables were set to perfection--decorated with topiaries, quotes from Alice in Wonderland, teapots, flowers, clocks and platters of assorted finger sandwiches.  
Each place setting had a name card tied to an old-fashioned key, this year's charms for the bracelet attached to the teacup, and an etiquette booklet
Aunt Jill gave us an animated etiquette lesson.  We learned how to use our napkins appropriately, how to hold our teacups properly and about many other little rules that we often break!  Later in the evening Aunt Bev gave a more spiritual message about the importance of slowing down and really making the most of each moment--recognizing the blessings of today.  We all received bookmarks that said "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get."
I felt this quote was very appropriate for the evening.  I think all of us feel this way the day or two leading up to the tea party.  We feel like we've gone entirely bonkers with all the preparations and wonder why we are going to so much work for this.  But then the guests arrive and party starts and all the little details make everyone ooh and ahh and feel special and loved.  I'm very grateful for the really crazy ladies that make this event happen every year--they really are the best people.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I love that your family does this, it looks like it was a magically wonderful party and those mini ruffle cakes are do die for, so cute! Also you look beautiful in your lovely hat!