At the summit.
The view of the summit from the base of the trail.
Hiking up:



Notice the amazing wildflowers. They mountain was full of richly-colored hillsides--lots of blues, whites, reds and yellows.
We had superb scenery to enjoy along the way.
Half of our hiking group.
My brother, Stephen, and his wife, Rachel. I had such a good time with them!
At the top:





Finally--I really made it!
Stunning views.
The glacier and Emerald Lake.
My kin and a view of Emerald Lake. You can see Deer Creek in the background.
The view of the valley and Utah Lake.
Hiking down:

At first we were all having second-thoughts about coming down the mountain via the glacier. It was extremely steep, and there was really no way to climb around it. We watched a few people go down and get fairly worked. Luckily, we were able to learn from their mistakes and made our way down safely. It was actually a whole lot of fun and a quick way to cover a lot of ground!





Notice how steep the glacier is.
We were quite wet at the end. Luckily it was a beautiful day, and we dried quickly!
A view of the glacier (it's LONG!) and Emerald Lake.
Two of the guys in our group decided to take a swim in these icy waters.
Crazy. Who wants to swim in a lake with chunks of ice floating in it?!
Relaxing.
Beautiful views along the way:
The end of our hike
We saw this moose right at the end of our adventure.
You know, in North Carolina I meet a lot of people who live and die for the beach. I sure like the beach, but the mountains are much more a part of who I am. For me, nature doesn't get more beautiful than the grandeur of mountains and valleys.

11 comments:
Oh yes... climbing Timp is a rite of passage if you grow up here. Love the pictures. I would love to do that again.
P.S. That moose was probably the same one that chased my husband down the mountain with a broken ankle!! Poor Cam!
I'm with you, the ocean is nice, but mountains are better! The glacier slide lookes awesome!!
What an awesome adventure! You have totally inspired me to try to hike timp next summer ;)
I have always wanted to climb Timp!!
I hope you are having a great time at Bear Lake, we are all really bummed about not being there! You should just take a detour and come see us before you fly home :)
Thank you for your sweet comment about our stress, it is a hard time for us, but hey- if we end up in Atlanta it will be a lot closer to you!
Beautiful! I have always wanted to hike Timp. :)
So cool, I too have thought I would hike that mountain but have yet to do it! I didn't know there were moose there either. Looks beautiful and so much fun!
Way to go. I could really use some mountains in my life right now. But I will have to settle for hearing about them from you for now. I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip.---janae
People who live and die for the beach? I think I resemble that comment! But I also think the mountains are cool. You are my new hero for hiking 22 miles, and I can't believe any children do it. Wow!!
Look at you...very impressive.
Wow Ames! That looks awesome. I'm going to have to get your tips on conquering the glacier in case I ever decide to hike that beast again! We didn't dare do it and I bet it makes the descent a lot more enjoyable! You rock!
It was so fun! I'm glad that you came. Scott gave Stephan a CD of pictures, did you get a copy??? Let me know, I can send you one :)
Post a Comment