Sunday, August 30, 2009

Last weeks of summer

Well, school has officially started, and I must document my last summer memories before they get buried in lesson plans and grading. At the beginning of the month, I got to spend some time reminiscing my college years as I got to revisit my old stomping grounds of Logan, Utah and Rexburg, Idaho and as I had the opportunity to meet up with some old roommates of mine. I drove through my old college cities with my little sister, Beth. It's always exciting to see how some things have changed and how some things are exactly same. It's all very nostalgic and makes me grateful for the really great experiences I had, the things I learned and the friends I made. And, to top things off, we got to eat at two of my VERY favorite sandwich shops.
In Logan
In Rexburg
Just missing Nan and Jess. #203 forever!
It had been years since seeing Dori & Brent, and I got to meet there cute kids!
Such fun reunions!

Beth and I enjoyed our time in Driggs. We drove through Wyoming, enjoying beautiful scenery and some tasty cheese curds from the Star Valley Cheese Factory. It was so good to see Grandma. We chatted about nearly everything, enjoyed some huckleberry shakes, ventured out in a summer rainstorm for a Mexican dinner and a 4-H fashion show and topped off the night with a movie. There is something refreshing about being somewhere where you have so many growing-up memories.
In the morning, my Aunt Cheryl was kind enough to take Beth and me wild huckleberry picking. It was wet and chilly and Beth didn't last very long, but we picked for a couple of hours and came home with a couple of cups of berries. We also got to sample some of Uncle Bill's homemade cheese!
Once home from Idaho, I enjoyed a few more days with my family before heading back to my husband in North Carolina. Spending time with my family also included spending some time with our newest family pets. Here is little Mia. She is pretty darn cute for a dog and has even started to win my hard heart over a little.
And this is my dad's bull, Ferdinand. He likes corn cobs (sans corn), back scratches and will soon provide us with some delicious meat in the freezer. In the mean time, he can still charge if you hang out inside his pasture with corn cobs in your hand, right Stephen?


4 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh, it's so hard to document the end of summer! I'm glad that yours included huckleberries & Ferdinand...

Maurine said...

I am glad you had lots of fun before summer ended.

J.B. said...

I'm jealous about the parts that include The Italian Place and huckleberries, but not so jealous about anything that involves grading. Sigh, if only there was a way to teach without grading. Good luck!

Kathleen said...

Looks like you had a very nostalgic visit! I didn't know you had farm animals at your house, awesome!