{Clark's comments in blue}
Let's talk for just a minute about how awful moving is. Add high temperatures and high humidity and it's even worse.
Now that we are far enough removed from the process, here are some of our thoughts:
Notes to rental companies:
1--Change your hours! Most companies I looked into had office hours M-Th 8 a.m.-4 p.m. and Fri 8 a.m.-1 p.m. There were a few houses that I had wanted to look at where I had to go get the key from the company but doing so between those hours was practically impossible. How do they expect people who work (and consequently could pay rent) to ever see their rental properties? So annoying.
2--Turn on the main water valve BEFORE renters move in. At the very least inform the renters that there is a valve and let them know of its obscure location.
The good:
1--We are still (happily) married.
2--The new place is bigger and has THREE bathrooms. Feel free to come use them!
Bad news is that the guest bath has these lovely stickers by the mirrors and on the shower.
The kitchen is nice and spacious as well. Hooray for cupboard space!
3--No crickets breeding in our storage closet! Woohoo!
4--The plants survived the move.
I do have to admit, I fell a little out of love with my plants after having to transport them all. It was hot sweaty work. The good news is that I fell even more in love with my husband who didn't even complain that I had an entire U-haul worth of plants.
The bad:
1--We didn't have water for 2 days. We were hot, dirty, tired, irritable and emotional (okay, that was just me).
2--I managed to get locked out the house at 9:30 p.m. while Clark was at work. Luckily I had my cell phone with me. Thanks to Melissa who came and took me to the hospital to get a key. Mind you, this was at the end of day two of no water. I was quite a sight.
3--Fake light switches. What is with designing rooms where light switches connect to outlets rather than lights? It's totally annoying. I am constantly flipping on light switches that light nothing.
The garage sale:
We were essentially the only ones to participate in our "community" garage sale at the end of June. We figured it was good timing to get rid of some of our stuff. We hauled out our selection of stuff and hung out in the heat while people came, perused, bargained and bought. There are some pretty entertaining people that come to garage sales. My two favorites were the old man with the yellow sleeveless shirt who almost bought the little bath pampering set and the black lady who called herself a white angel and blessed Clark with five children that will all get straight As and blessed me to not have pain in childbirth. Looks like we are set for life!
Here's to getting settled, buying lots of storage containers, and finding a place for everything!
12 years ago

6 comments:
Awesome! Where can I find me a black lady white angel...
Seriously moving is the WORST. Bet you are glad it is over!
I hope you've managed to fall back in love with your uhaul full of plants!!! And hooray for 3 bathrooms!
oh those garage/yard sale buyers..too funny! Fake light switches...Yes.. I know all about those..soo annoying! Back in the day when people had lamps to light their rooms, useful maybe, but not in this decade!
Glad you now have running water, that would have made me irritable and emotional too!
Isn't perspective lovely ;)
There is no way to make moving fun - your new place looks and sounds nice though (besides the stickers in the bathroom).
Post a Comment